If you want to create a website, you start by registering a name of your website, known as a domain name. Your domain name is the name, such as spacesuite.com, that your users enter in a browser to visit your website.
Below is an overview of how you register a domain name with Rocket Domains:
- You search for your desired domain name and verify that it’s available, meaning that no one has already registered or reserved your desired domain name. If the domain name you want is not available for registration, you can try other names or try changing only the top-level domain, such as .com, to another top-level domain, such as .co or .site. For a list of the top-level domains that Rocket Domains supports, see Domains that you can register with Rocket Domains .
- You register the domain name with Rocket Domains and provide names and contact information for the domain owner and other contacts such as administrative and billing contacts. When you register a domain with Rocket Domains, the service automatically makes itself the DNS service for the domain by doing the following:
- Creates a hosted zone that has the same name as your domain.
- Assigns a set of two name servers to the hosted zone. When someone uses a browser to access your website, such as www.spacesuite.com, these name servers tell the browser where to find your website, such as a web server.
- Gets the name servers from the hosted zone and adds them to the domain.
- What’s more, Rocket Domains gives you global DNS for free giving your website or application bullet proof DNS security, lightning fast DNS resolution and 100% uptime.
- At the end of the registration process, we send your information to the registry for the domain. A registry is a company that controls domain registrations for one or more top-level domains, such as .com.
- The registry registers the information about your domain in their own database and also stores some of the information in the public domain WHOIS database.
If you already registered a domain name with another registrar, you can choose to transfer the domain to another Registrar such as Rocket Domains.